Contrary to popular belief Diamonds aren't a girl's best friend, especially if these baubles origins are associated with corruption, neglect & inhumane treatment. Conflict Free Diamonds premise is to assure buyers that the diamonds being purchased are devoid of violence, unethical treatment towards workers & environmental abuse. Here's a few tips on what to do when purchasing diamonds..
- Ask to see your retailer's official written policy on conflict diamonds. All retailers should have one! Seriously
- Expect educated staff members - you're spending major coins on diamonds & you should not settle for an imcompetant jeweler. Every staff member should know their company policies & government regulations against conflict diamonds.
- Look for definitions of conflict free that mention both environmental & labor considerations, as well as eliminating violence and wars. Conflict free means an ethically and environmentally responsible origin.
- Look for diamonds originating from Canada. Fair trade diamonds are in the works in West Africa, but certification standards are still being developed. Until then, Canadian origin with accompanying certification is still the only sure guarantee of conflict free status.
- Look for certification and tracking guarantees. Retailers should know every country and facility their diamonds have visited, from the mine to the store. NO Exceptions!!!
While it seems like a difficult endeavor it isn't - it's worth the effort to ensure that the diamonds you purchase are conflict free - who wants drama!