2. Wear a sunscreen in your moisturizer daily. Studies indicate that 78% of the sun exposure you get in a lifetime is incidental exposure. You may say, "I'm not out at all during the day." Just walking to your car, even driving in your car will give you unnecessary sun damage. Windshields do nothing to protect you from UV rays! And we know that sun exposure is the #1 cause of aging!!!! A minimum of SPF#15 should be used every day, winter and summer. Don’t forget to apply it to the neck and ears. Try Renée Rouleau Daily Protection SPF 30.
3. Use a topical stable vitamin C product daily.In addition to using a moisturizer containing antioxidants, topical applications of high amounts of Vitamin C have been shown to prevent premature skin aging by fighting free radicals, lighten skin discoloration and actually increase the sun protection in a sunscreen! However, most Vitamin C products out on the market use the acid forms of the Vitamin (like Ascorbic Acid or Alpha Lipoic Acid). These are in fact, acids, which is why you can feel a stinging sensation on the skin. The new research on skin aging indicates that daily use of skin irritating acids actually encourage free radical formation, which counteracts the reason why you're using Vitamin C in the first place! Plus, the problem with these acid types of Vitamin C is that they are highly unstable and break down every time you open the bottle and oxygen gets to the product. If your Vitamin C starts to turn brown half way through the bottle, that's a sign that it is oxidizing and is losing its effectiveness. (Think of an apple that turns brown 20 minutes after taking a bite.) At Renée Rouleau, they use Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, which is believed to be one of the most beneficial types of Vitamin C because it doesn't cause skin irritation and won't lose its ability to fight free radicals. Renée Rouleau Vitamin C & E Complex contains three types of Vitamin C and E, a must for anti-aging!
4. Use the latest ingredients to address certain skin conditions.
- Peptides-collagen stimulating ingredient for firming the skin
- White Tea- the most calming antioxidant of all teas, for soothing redness.
- Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate- stable Vitamin C that not only provides powerful
- antioxidants to the skin, but works to lighten pigmentation (brown spots).
- Pomegranate- a highly potent antioxidant.
- Shea Butter-ultra-moisturizing to alleviate dry skin.
- Hyaluronic Acid- helps retain the skin's natural moisture. It can hold 1000 times its weight in water resulting in enhanced elasticity, lubrication, plumpness and moisture of skin. Also has healing properties.
5. Don't pick at your skin. The life of a breakout is just 3-5 days, but when you pick at a blemish, the red mark that lingers can be there for 1-2 months! We know it's tempting, but you can make problem skin much worse by forcing bacteria deeper into the skin, resulting in scarring and further breakouts. A better solution for problem skin is a regular facial schedule, where your pores can be cleaned professionally.
6. Clean your cosmetics brushes once a week. Bacteria and oil can build up on your cosmetic brushes, which can lead to clogged pores and break outs. Using a mild liquid dish soap and cold water, carefully wash out your brushes and rinse thoroughly. Comb the bristles to prevent tangling. Stand brushes upright in a glass to let dry. Cosmetic sponges should be washed with mild soap and rinsed thoroughly after each use.
7. Throw out your bar soap and exchange it for a liquid cleanser. The binders that hold a bar of soap together are in an alkaline base (high pH balance) which will strip all the water and natural oils out of the skin, causing the surface of the skin to dehydrate. Your skin cells need to stay moist in order to be healthy, and without water, acne conditions, sensitive and dry skins will be aggravated. Renée Rouleau Gentle Gel Cleanser is a great soap-substitute.
8. Exfoliate. Exfoliation is the key to untrapping clogged pores, fading post-break out red marks, smoothing the skin and stimulating new and healthy skin cell growth, but people forget to make exfoliation a regular part of their routine. Keep your facial scrub in the shower, that way it’s staring at you and your most likely to then use it. 2-3 times a week is a must for healthy and smooth skin! Try Renée Rouleau Mint Buffing Beads or for extreme exfoliation, Micro Crystal Cream.
9. Always use an eye cream. This delicate area is the first place to show aging and also contains the fewest oil glands on the face. Daily use of an eye cream applied in a patting motion with your ring finger keeps this area moist and plump resulting in a lesser appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Be sure to avoid eye creams that contain Mineral Oil or Petroleum as these ingredients will weight down the skin tissue resulting in premature sagging of the skin. Try Renée Rouleau Synergy Eye Cream. *And always apply eye cream with your ring finger. It’s the weakest finger and won’t unnecessarily tug at the skin tissue.
10. Avoid drinking out of straws. We know that the reason for lines and wrinkles is from sun damage, but it's also caused from facial expressions. (Think smiling as the cause of crow’s feet around the eyes.) So when drinking out of a straw, you have to purse your lips which causes unnecessary wrinkles and lines around the mouth. If you're concerned about lines and wrinkles, then drinking directly from the glass is a much better option. Save that expression for kissing!
With good skin care habits, your skin will be healthy & beautiful for years to come!